Friday, January 28, 2011

OPSEC and PERSEC




My fellow Navy wives often get sick and tired of listening or reading about OPSEC (Operational Security) and/or PERSEC (Personal Security). I, on the other hand, do not and am registered to receive OPSEC updates and information from every government entity, organization, and so forth that I can on Facebook so that I can get the latest and greatest information.

OPSEC is important to my husband's safety AND his timely return. When wives have posted countdowns as to the precise date the aircraft carrier (used in this instance because my husband is aboard one), it has been known to upset the CO (Commanding Officer) to the point where he will change the return date. I do not personally want my husband coming home later so don't understand why they would want theirs to come home later and if they do, then there are more important issues at hand that they need to deal with in their marriage and they better not let those issues affect my husband's safe, timely return. Furthermore, if they don't care about their husband's safety enough to avoid such posts, they also have marital issues that need to be dealt with. I do not want the "bad guys" to know where our military is at all times, let alone to know where my husband is.

PERSEC is important to my own safety and that of my family. When wives post countdowns or statuses indicating that they are alone for long periods of time, they are telling other "bad guys" that they are home alone without the protection of their husband. This in turn makes them vulnerable to a home robbery or worse, an attack of some sort. While I worry most about my family's safety, I would hate to see anyone's safety put in jeopardy so I remind people about both OPSEC and PERSEC from time to time on my Navy Wife Facebook profile.

I put this up as my second post because it is important for anyone, whether you are military or not and so it is important to anyone who comes across my blog. Please remember that in this time of technology, it doesn't take much to grab information about anyone. Google your name, your address, and so forth from time to time. Make sure to remove your information from sites like Spokeo and please watch what  you post on Facebook, especially if you don't have private settings and accept just about anyone as a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment